Monday, October 23, 2017

The work is good in Nova Friburgo...10.23.2017

Hello everyone!

This week was really good. I was able to help Elder Miranda enter the waters of baptism with our friend Diego. Diego was a golden investigator. He accepted everything that we taught and has a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon. The only problem is that he was called for obligatory military service for 1 year. It is common in Brazil, but he should be able to go to church still. 


   
   Wednesday was the regular dual ward volleyball activity. There were lots of youth this time so we didn't play. I won´t lie I really wanted to play, but we didn't have an investigator there so we didn't stay long. This time the youth had set up some speakers and played a few songs in English. I miss good music... We got a call fro Mexico that night as well about a reference for us. A man named Jocimar asked for a Book of Mormon via the church site and we contacted him 2 days later. He is 23 years old; doesn´t have a religion, but studies the Bible at home, and is really curious. He has a lot of potential.

     We are reactivating a man named Maicon Tostes. He has a huge testimony of the church, but he gets deanimated sometimes. He suffered a really bad car accident which put him in a coma and he had to relearn how to do everything. He is really charismatic and needs to be in the church. He invited a friend Marcio over and called us to teach him. It was a good lesson. 

     This Sunday was really busy. I got to go back to Primary as well again. I was asked to play the violin to help with the primary program that will be next week. Then out of nowhere a woman of the other ward asked if I could help their Primary as well. So next week i will have 3 hours of sacrament meeting. In sacrament meeting Diego received the Holy Ghost. 

   Then a youth called Adam talked about repentance. One part I liked is that when we sin it is like putting a ball and chain around our ankle. This slows down our forward progress and can even stop us. But we can repent, and if need be use the keys that the bishop has to become free again. It was a good talk and a great SundayTonight I will be going to a school where a member teaches English as well to help out so that should be fun. 


That thing that we have is called a pala italiana that a member made for dessert for us. It was probably the most chocolate and sugared dessert that I have eaten on my mission but it is so good I ate 3 pieces. I wont lie I wasn't feeling too good after I ate a ton but after 2 hours I was back to normal. 

Today we are going to go to the center of the city and try a Belgian hot chocolate drink and pass by some stores. Katie told me about a mixture that she used on her face that  has helped a lot. My face right now has gotten a lot better, but is really red. Before you ask I use a lot of sunscreen.

Yep Elder Miranda is already 5 weeks trained.  I think that I will be transferred here next week, but I am hoping that I wont. I love this ward and we are getting some good references from members and some good investigators. We will see though. 




Do you have a copy of your patriarchal blessing?  Have you read it lately?


I do have my patriarchal blessing. Once in a while I get it out and read. I read it a few weeks ago as I was doing a little study. 


Did you get the package with your camera in it?


No... It still hadn't gotten there. The mail system is really backed up. Literally, I sent a letter to Juiz de Fora, which is 6 hours by car and it took 4 weeks to get there.  But I did steal Elder Guiterrez' camera to send you these photos!


When was the last time you laughed with your companion?  What makes you laugh in your area?  How do you keep things light hearted?


We laugh everyday. If you don't than you will get depressed and go crazy. Literally there are lots of "no´s" in the day that if you don't laugh and stay light hearted the day gets long. We make jokes about a lot of things. it is random.


How are your clothes holding up?  Have you opened/used everything we packed?


My clothes are going well. I have just had to stitch 1 pair of pants. I have thrown out some white shirts because they had bad sun screen stains and gained some from Elders going home. The Costco shirts in the package that I brought with me I have given away to other Elders that were needing them. Oh but don't send more because they are really big... 

Until next week!
-Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment